Sunday, February 6, 2011

CNY week

It started with a pre-departure briefing and ended with a dinner in a restaurant. I could truly taste the difference as compared to previous years. I felt like lifting up from ground, floating in air and blown away. The feelings came eventually when I received plenty of angpaw from relatives. How unusual to have that in mind!

Pre-departure briefing was a compulsory for those JPA bound scholars who will embark the journey to Aus and NZ. It was amazingly hassle to everyone who came for the briefing. Travelling cheques, blazor with slacks, documents and important notes from various presenters on that day have definitely sparkling the intense fire among us who are waiting anxiously to sit on a plane and arrive at a place which is beyond our imagination; a place where most of us dream to be. After having a fulfilling breakfast at McD, it was time to head back to my alma mater down the city. Black and white theme had no longer differentiated one and another. Once the hall opened, smart-looking guys girls entered and proceeded to the back of the hall to collect our blazors, badges and vital doc. Subsequently, presentations from JPA officers followed by lunch were prepared for everyone of us. Then, money-giving session began and sometimes, it was terrifying to keep the cash and cheques, especially for those who travelled back home at long distances. We could not afford to lose any of the loaded money as it was meant for our education purposes soon. To end this, even though this event was a mini reunion for us, deep inside our hearts, we truthfully understand that we were half-way through the education bursary assigned for us and we need to complete it with unforgettable memories and acknowledgement.

Gong Xi Fa Cai and a Happy Prosperous CNY. It was the moment where all chinese gather together and celebrate the festival once a year. This year CNY, to me, it was a totally different feeling and indeed signifies that I'm about to leave my beloved country very soon. It went on with small gathering with my ex-schoolmates at gurney plaza where we had a wonderful lunch. To my surprise, they presented me a unexpected gift with a card on it. That gift was the only precious gift I have gotten before. Maybe a chic wallet did not mean much to others but to me, it was the best of all. The festive mood did not end here. A reunion dinner with close relatives came along the way during CNY eve. The dinner concept was mainly about the steamboat and firecrackers. Although there was not much to comment about, it went on well and I even learned how to play poker. A small gambling was on as well and it was worthwhile to learn some but not get addicted to it.


During the first day of CNY, I could hardly move myself out from my house because of the sunny weather and tiring night the day before. Nevertheless, I was persuaded to visit Kek Lok Si temple and Goddess of Mercy statue located next to Penang hill. These two tourist attractions were truly a sight to behold but jam-packed with vehicles and crowds. By holding a S95 camera, stunning shots of the statue and temples' decorations have been taken 'professionally'. Among all, the place where the statue situated was a mesmerizing site for newcomers to gather around. With superb lighting system and decorative lanterns, it indeed captured the attention of all visitors.

After having fun yesterday night, I was unexpectedly invited to attend a CNY gathering with my close friends. To me, it was not a usual one because it was happening during new year time and in one of my friends house. He told us there would be a surprise and at last, we understood the word surprise as a CNY angpow and a dinner with his family. This was the first time and I was absolutely grateful and appreciated their generosity. In the bottom of my heart, I kept saying a million thank you and happy CNY to them too. Another highlight of the event was the gambling time. This gambling was in fact not the real one but just playing for fun. No coins were taken in. What I can comment based on the poker game is awesome and it's worth for learning. The strategies must be rolled in and even emotions of players should be taken into considerations while playing the cards. It lasted till midnight and yet, I was truly satisfied.

Lastly, a dinner with my relatives for the next day completed my CNY this year. The atmosphere was so lively and tasty meals were served in conjunction with the CNY celebrations. If anyone asks me whether this will be my last CNY before heading overseas, my answer will never be yes because everyday to me is CNY day

No comments:

Post a Comment